Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Homemade cleaning products

Ok, I'm the first to admit that I hate cleaning bathrooms. Regardless of whether I'm pregnant & nauseous (like right now) or if I'm feeling great, bathroom cleaning always makes me gag.

But add to that, the over-powering & toxic fumes of typical bathroom cleaners and I can hardly set foot in there. Fortunately, my wonderful hubby does most of the bathroom cleaning (when I beg & plead) but I believe his lungs have as much value as mine do so its time to look into new cleaning products.

We've tried the Green Works brand and to me, it smells just as potent, and just doesn't do a job as good as my trusty Mr. Clean or Chlorox sprayers. And besides, the big CAUTION: IRRITANT warning on the bottle kind of freaks me out. *shudder* I know, I'm just a newbie right!

So I thought I would browse around and see what the good old fashioned way of doing things is like. I couldn't believe how relatively simple the ingredients are! The majority of cleaning can be done with your basic baking soda & vinegar. Now, I already clean some things (like my floor) with vinegar so it won't be a hard change to try cleaning other things with these products. Vinegar is a miracle product - anti-bacterial, mold-killing, deodorizing, polishing, window cleaning, etc. Yay for vinegar, and as an added bonus, its usually CHEAP!! That earns vinegar a gold star in my books.

The first site I came upon is a great site called Care2 as in Care2 make a difference, as their title suggests. This looks like a site I'm going to frequent a lot in my small steps!

Anyways, tomorrow, if nausea cuts me some slack,  I will try some of the recipes I found for cleaning and see what I think of them & report back.

If you have some homemade recipes for your cleaning products, please share them with me!

3 comments:

  1. Great job Beck. You can also use vinegar instead of laundry softener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I filled a jar with lemons rind that I had used the juice in something else, then I filled the jar with vinegar and put it in my cleaning cabinet and left it for a few weeks, then when I opened it the vinegar smelled like lemons, so I use that for my all purpose cleaner. Mix with water in a spray bottle and spritz away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, vinegar is definitely my top choice for the laundry rinse cycle too (or when cloths & towels get stinky)
    I like the sound of mixing it with lemon too. Will try that next time!!

    ReplyDelete